Friday, January 2, 2009

Why did I become a vegetarian?

Six years ago, while standing in line at a natural grocer, a colorful display rack got my attention. Photos of heirloom tomatoes were featured on the cover of Vegetarian Times Magazine. They were so luscious it made my mouth water! I am an organic gardener so I bought the magazine. As I flipped through the pages, I learned some things about animal cruelty that stopped me dead in my tracks. I didn't want to be any part of what I had just learned.



Trying to be impartial, I searched the Internet for non-biased articles on animal husbandry. I was looking especially for articles written by agriculture and veterinary colleges on how they raised large numbers of chickens and pigs. I was a little bit afraid that what I'd read in VT was "hype" written by extremists.


But, no, the agriculture schools confirmed that what I had learned was true. In the process of raising and killing hundreds of millions of animals per year to feed the 200 million people in the United States every day, you develop hugely inhumane practices in order to provide food both economically and at a profit.


I was horrified enough to stop eating meat instantly.


But I did want to know what God had to say about people eating meat or not eating meat. My search took me directly to the Bible -- and this is a subject for a whole 'nother post -- and the Bible confirmed that He would rather we NOT eat meat, but it wasn't mandatory. And it most certainly shouldn't be a topic of contention between one person and another.


So my desire to be kinder to animals also came with the understanding that this should be a peaceable practice for me, not something where I would become obnoxious at the meal table or judgemental of my family and friends.


And then I wanted to know what my own faith had to say about it. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in the Word of Wisdom found in Doctrine & Covenants Section 89. This counsel is "adapted to the capaticity of the weak and the weakest of all saints" (v. 3). We most often know the parts about not drinking tea, coffee, or alchohol and not using tobacco. But we fall apart on the healthful practices of eating more fruits and vegetables and grains and strongly limiting our intake of meat.


In Section 89, the Lord says that beasts and fowls are given for the use of man, but here is the rub: "Nevertheless they are to be used sparingly" ( v. 12).


"And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine." (v. 13)


And lest we misunderstand the first interpretation of the word "sparingly", the guidance on using the flesh of beasts and fowls and wild animals was repeated.


"And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger" (v. 15).


I did one last thing before I officially made the change. I did a little homework on what Presidents of the Church have ever said on the topic. And again, that's a whole 'nother post.

But in my heart and soul I came to believe that these sweet, beautiful creatures have their own purpose in life and it was not originally intended that they die horribly to become our food and clothing. They want to have joy in their lives just as I want to have joy in mine.


I went vegetarian five and a half years ago and while the initial reason was to prevent the suffering of animals, medical concerns later confirmed that going to a meatless diet was actually a life-saver for me.


It's not a practice that everyone can or should live, not while we live in a fallen world. There are too many cultures that simply cannot go to a meatless diet, yet. And there are too little food resources in many parts of the world for people to live solely on grains and fruits and vegetables.

It's been the right choice for me. I'm a kinder, gentler, much healthier person because of it.

Those changes are the reason for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment